Saturday, May 9, 2009

It sure does sound good

The road was going to be a frontage road for a freeway. The freeway to nowhere. Part of an interstate project, this thing had been under construction for over 20 years.

It was a 3 lane one-way drag strip 12 miles long, flat as a pancake, and brand new, with another one just like it an eight of a mile to the South. That's what it was.

In the stretch where there were stoplights, they were spaced every half-mile, and timed to pass through-traffic at 45 miles per hour.

Or 90.

Everyone with a car they even thought was fast tore this stretch of new road up on a regular basis.


I regarded it as my own personal playground.

I had just finished a high-speed run with a buddy in my shiny red '79 Z28.

We were jamming to some tunes and toking on a number, grinning from ear to ear when we rolled up to that stoplight with a few cars ahead of us in traffic.

I savored a stout hit, and passed it over to my bro.

"Dude. squash that shit." He said to me. "See that brown car two cars up on the right? That's a cop."

Okay motherfucker, pass it low, smoke it like a cigarette. Shut up and quit yer bitchin. He's on his way to get a donut. Damn man, you're so fuckin lame. I thought to myself.

"That ain't no cop." I said, yanking his chain just a little.

My bro was always tweaking out about silly shit. I swear he needed something stronger than some green.

"Dude that is a cop! Put that out!"

Puff puff. A cloud rolls out my window.

"That's a chick bro. See her hair? Brunette too. Hey mama, wanna party?" I said, but not so loudly it could be heard two cars up.

"Dude that is a cop and you are so going to get me fucked up I'm gonna kick your ass." My very good friend suddenly wanted to kill me it seemed.


I grinned at him.

The light changed. Everyone grannied their way off the light.

Within a few hundred yards I saw my shot on the left and took it. I blew past the stack of cars with the cammed-up 350 screaming through the glaspacks and 4" megaphones right in sexy mama's ear as I passed the unmarked car doing 80 or 90.

The speedo had just topped 100 when she slid in behind me with the little blue lights under the grille just a winkin at me.

I dropped it down to the limit and signaled a right lane change.


There was a grocery store ahead on the right.

I stubbed my roach out in the ashtray, and palmed it.

My bro was now officially trippin balls.

I'm thinkin he's gonna lose it and start swinging on me or some shit. Then I'm gonna have to kick his ass while driving this car with a cop behind me. I swear you couldn't have driven a thumbtack up his ass with a jackhammer.

"Don't shit your pants man. We're cool." I told him as I pulled into the parking spot with the unmarked car behind me.

I handed him the roach. "Hold this bro, it won't take but a second."

Climbing out of the Camaro, I turned to face a brunette lady cop a few years older than me with a pistol and a badge on her belt.

"It sure does sound good." she said.

"Well it just cost me $20, so I am glad you think so!" I told her.

"How did it just cost you $20?"

"Because my buddy said you were a cop, and I told him you were too cute to be a cop. He said he knew you were and I said well I'll bet ya $20 she ain't, and I know just how to find out. So he won. How fast was I goin anyway?"

"I don't know." She said. "I only got up to 55 before you shut it down. How fast were you going?" She arched a devastatingly sexy eyebrow at me.

"I'll have to take the fifth on that." I said. "I got bigger problems anyway. I just bought this thing and haven't even switched the title, tag, or insurance yet, and I left my wallet and my license on my bedside table."

"You wanna go with me while I get it or do you get to handcuff me right here and now?"

She smiled. "I don't write tickets." she said. "I bust druggies."

"Fascinating!" I said. "Tell me about it over dinner, or in the morning?"

"You have a nice day, and slow down before you wind up in trouble." She said to me, getting back into her car.

"But you're the kind of trouble I'm trying to get into!" I yelled!

She had a huge grin on her face as she drove right out of my life forever.

I went back and sat down in the Camaro.

"Well?" My incredulous buddy demanded.

"Well what? She turned me down cold. Where's that joint?"

"I ate it." He replied.

"You sonofabitch!" That really upset me. "You owe me a joint now. And a hamburger!"


This day just wasn't going the way I was hoping it would.

1 comment: